Is EBUS a public school?
- EBUS Academy is a public school, offering an excellent education to BC students.
How often do I need to contact my child’s teacher?
- There’s no set time frame for this, but weekly contact is the goal. Contact can be made either by email, phone, or Moodle messaging. Even just replying to an email or sending a quick update can be a great way to stay in contact!
How often will I need to submit work?
- Work should be submitted at least monthly, but every week or two is preferred. Work does not need to be submitted in all subjects all the time, but a piece or two of work submitted every week will maintain great communication with the teacher and give reassurance that work is being done on a consistent basis.
Does EBUS Academy have report cards?
- Yes, EBUS Elementary teachers complete report cards for three reporting terms per year (November, March, and June).
Where do I find teaching resources and ideas?
- EBUS uses an online program called Moodle – it’s like our online schoolhouse! Moodle is a secure, password protected site which is available for all students and parents. Each teacher maintains a homeroom in Moodle for news item, resources, and drop-boxes for submission of student work. Additionally, each grade has a “Classroom” within Moodle, with subject/unit guides and related resources, links, and activities. Students, parents, and teachers can even message each other within Moodle.
How much time will my child spend on the computer?
- The amount of time a student actually spends on the computer is completely dependent upon their learning style/needs. Typically, older students will spend more time online and younger students less. EBUS has many opportunities for both parents and students to be online through our learning platform, Moodle, as well as through interactive virtual classes (V-classes) with teachers and fellow students.
What kinds of resources does EBUS provide?
- EBUS provides a combination of print and online resources. Each grade has a “Classroom” within Moodle with subject/unit guides and related resources, links, and activities provided. We also loan out textbooks for a few subjects, as well as provide links to many online educational subscription sites which families can use for free.
Do I have flexibility regarding topic choices?
- EBUS allows for great flexibility with regards to the specific topics a student will complete during their school year. While we do follow the provincial curriculum in general, we acknowledge that families come to us with unique learning styles and situations, so are very willing to work with our families to decide upon the specific learning path that will suit them best.
How can I use my funding?
- Please refer to the Student Funding page.
Will all of my children have the same teacher?
- EBUS teachers work with either a Primary (Gr. K-3) or Intermediate (Gr. 4-7) class list. If your children are Primary, for example, then they would have the same teacher. If one is Gr. 2 and one Gr. 6, then they would each have a different teacher.
What if my child is not performing at grade level?
- The teacher will work with families and students at all levels, helping to determine areas of weakness and strength as well as specific learning needs. Students will be placed in their age appropriate grade, but may work on a variety of levels within that grade and within the various subjects.